Friday

David Carson



For my distinguished designer project, I'm focusing on David Carson.  I wanted to bring attention to his personal website design, and how it goes against the grain of modern websites (and websites I would think to be visually pleasing).

The first page is organized into vertical column of his work and emails he's received in random order.  Once you click the link to enter the site, you more or less get the same type of page.  Once you click the second link to enter the site, you get another similar page, but longer.  Then you can finally access other links you would typically find on an artist's site.

At first, I was kind of confused with the design, but then I realized how perfectly it fits my artist of choice.  He revolutionized how people think about type and advertising, taking away the "clean" look of things and using dirty, grungy type in an organized fashion.  His website is a reflection of that.

I came to appreciate it's design as it shows a little slice of his life in a simple, unembellished way, by altering his works with emails he's received over the years.  It's almost as if you are looking at it through his eyes, or at least that's how I interpreted it.

I also think it's kind of funny how he ends all of his emails with different names.

No comments:

Post a Comment